Saturday 19 April 2008

Boracay






I first went to Boracay in 1989 – at that time, there was no electricity on the island, and only a few very basic resorts (forget hot water!) and restaurants. Alasdair and I have been back to the island at least six times since then - the latter three with the children in tow. The past nineteen years have made such a difference to what is sometimes known as the ‘Best Beach in the World’ – from starting off as an island paradise where you could escape the stresses of daily living, Boracay is now a heaving, happening place. You can do every imaginable water sport here, you can eat whatever your heart desires as there are restaurants everywhere along the 4 kilometre beach and you can go dancing in one of the beach’s numerous bars. You can also buy almost everything at D’Mall, the island’s retail hub – at one point, I felt I was back at the Chatuchak Market in Bangkok. Which is not a good thing when you’re not really supposed to be there…

Although Boracay is more like Ibiza now, and has completely lost its rustic appeal, I am still drawn to it. The very clear turquoise waters and the beautiful and very fine white sand are really quite spectacular. Although it can be very busy, you can still find your quiet spot, especially if you stay in one of the quieter resorts towards the ends of the island.

We stayed at a lovely resort called Waling-Waling. We have attempted to stay here countless times, but it was always booked.
I’m glad we kept trying – the accommodation was very good and their little cabañas with hammocks with a view to the ocean was just gorgeous.

We met our cabana ‘neighbours’ – a lovely couple called Trish and Ricardo. Trish had two of her three boys with her, and they played quite a lot with our four. Four because we took Sam, our niece, to Boracay with us for a graduation present. A cute little love affair developed between Sam and Matteo, Trish’s second. They’re both thirteen and it was really sweet! Trish and I exchanged numbers and I promised that I would see her next week, as she had invited the children to her youngest son Luca’s birthday party.

As you can imagine, most of our time was spent lounging around the beach, although we did go snorkelling one day and Alasdair and the children took a banana boat ride, which apparently was not as fun as they thought it would be. The snorkelling was enjoyable, although it was also slightly scary as we stopped at Crocodile Island, and the waves very very strong. Every single time I lifted my head to find out how far we were from our boat, I’d find myself miles out. When I tired, it took me forever to get back into the boat, as the waves kept hitting me and moving me away.

The children had a fantastic time on the beach, and they all got henna tattoos, but sadly, Euan developed an allergic reaction to it. Poor thing. It got quite bad we had to see a doctor as soon as we arrived back in Manila – a henna tattoo is one thing, but a permanent scorpion scar is an altogether different affair! Nikki had her hair done in cornrows, and she looked absolutely lovely! She’s so desperate to keep it until school starts, but I doubt it will last that long.
The rest of our time was spent lounging in our lovely cabaña, getting massages and drinking fresh fruit shakes. Boracay may not be what it used to be, but it will always remain an island paradise to me.

No comments: