Saturday 5 April 2008

Bangkok, Oriental City



Spent the weekend on a shopping/bonding trip with my sisters Mayet and Tech. As this is their umpteenth trip to this city, they were not interested in doing any sightseeing whatsoever - they were there for a goal - to bag some really good bargains.

After our Business Class fare trip (care of Dad) and our 5-star hotel accommodation (care of Alasdair) we were armed and ready with shopping bags, credit cards and Thai baht to do some serious shopping. We visited the famous Chatuchak market (or Chateau Jacques, as my sisters insisted on calling it) - supposedly one of the places to see before you die. If you're a serious shopper, that is. Or on a bonding trip with your sisters. It is massive, it is packed with people, and it is extremely hot, hot, hot. But if you've got patience, you can pick up quite a few good things.

We also visited shopping malls such as the Gaysorn and the Siam Paragon. We went to the Suan Lum Night Bazaar. We basically did not do anything but shop and eat. Thai food is gorgeous.

I did not visit any temples, nor see the floating market. I did however, shop, laugh a lot, and have an absolutely tremendous time with my sisters. We had so much fun, we've decided to do this every year. Next stop, Las Vegas...

4 comments:

Gourmet Traveller said...

I would totally kill for some Thai food right now....Good thing your post had no food photos.

Unknown said...

That was a wonderful eight week odyssey, Chinot. Definitely worth pulling the kids out of school for. It was so nice to see you...twice! Have a safe trip back, take care. Love, hugs, kisses to you, Al, Callum, Euan, and my inaanak, Nicola.

Unknown said...

That was a wonderful eight week odyssey, Chinot. Definitely worth pulling the kids out of school for. It was really nice to see you...twice! Have a safe trip, take care. Love, hugs, kisses to you, Al, Callum, Euan, and my inaanak, Nicola.

techgerman said...

We loved having your whole family in the Philippines. It was nice to read through your blog and remember what a hectic two month holiday you had. I had a fantastic time in Bangkok. (I just wish you had photo shopped that photo-- I can see some cellulite in my legs:)